In my up and coming blogs, I will be exploring further Robert Epsteins 4 creative competencies…… in this one we will be looking at ……
….CHALLENGING – seeking out opportunities to fail – this can help boost your creativity!
In a blog last week, I wrote about Epstein’s 4 creative competencies and briefly how they could be increased. I was just reminded today, by a dear friend, how I could use an example of a recent failure to demonstrate its value, in boosting my own creativity.
I am not used to failure but I do like seeking out new opportunities to be creative. Now creativity does not have to be about arts or crafts but this story is. When a friend asked if I would like to join her and some other friends on a day to learn how to crochet, I was up for the challenge. I am quite dexterous, so I did think “How hard could that be?”
Without going into too much detail, I found the day quite challenging to say the least. I was probably the worst person in the class and it was not a place I was used to. My efforts were not rewarded at all, the harder I tried the worse my outputs were.
The best thing I produced all day can be seen in this photo and I did not even manage to finish that! Part way through the day, one person reminded me that I “have other gifts”, a gentle reminder that crocheting was not one of them. So how did this experience benefit me, in the field of creativity? Here is a list:
- I was reminded I have “other gifts”, which I began to think about and recognise
- I learnt I am very competitive and that failing is very hard for me
- I reflected on a recent hobby I had taken up and decided to put some energy into that, as a way of relaxing
- Taking time to spend on my new hobby and exploring how it works has stretched me
- I have given myself permission to not be good at crocheting
- The next time I try something new, I will know that failing is not fatal
So I thought you might like to see what I have been doing …. Needle felting! Et voila!
If you would like to learn more about developing your creative competencies and also meet with other trainers to generate lots of ideas – come to the BFLG Group on the 24th of January in Leeds at Leeds Building Society and join in the “Creativity Olympics!”
©Krystyna Gadd 2014